Why Slow Rolls Are Just as Dangerous, Dropping in on Drivers Matters
“It’s just as dangerous to be distracted in a parking lot going 5 mph as it is going 50 mph.” That’s what Deborah Hersman, president of the National Safety Council, told CBS news a few years ago.
If Ms. Hersman’s claim sounds inaccurate, consider this finding from the NSC’s recent research:
1 in 5 traffic collisions happens
in a parking lot.
It makes perfect sense when you think about it. Millions of people every day—no doubt including your company’s drivers—multitask as they start up their vehicles and begin the initial slow roll of their drive.
Think of all the distracting things your drivers might be doing in those initial seconds of a trip, as they make their way onto the road in your company’s trucks:
- Fidgeting with the stereo
- Texting or scrolling social media
- Grabbing something from the back seat
- Talking on their phone
- Inputting an address in the onboard navigation
And of course, these distractions can become even more dangerous if they’re combined with other factors that your drivers could be facing. For example:
- The roads are icy
- It’s nighttime
- Rain or other bad-weather conditions are making visibility poor
Now, let’s say you want to be proactive in protecting your drivers’ safety, your vehicles and the expensive equipment they’re carrying, your insurance rates, and your business’s reputation.
One way to do this is to mount dashboard cameras in your company’s fleet. These will let you monitor both the road ahead of your drivers and the cabin itself. But there’s a possible flaw in this strategy:
Most dashboard cameras don’t start recording
until the vehicle reaches 5 mph.
As we’ve just discussed, there’s a lot of risk in those first moments leading up to your drivers hitting that 5 mph mark. What can you do?
ClearPathGPS Dash Cams Start Recording at Ignition-On
A simple solution is to install the easy-to-use fleet dash cams from ClearPathGPS. These dash cams let you:
- Monitor your drivers’ behavior in the cabin from the instant they turn on the ignition.
- Pull 20-second video clips of your drivers with checkered driving histories, starting at the ignition-on moment, to “drop in” on these drivers and learn if they’re behaving safely in those first seconds.
- View dash-cam recordings in real-time or later—we store the video footage and make it accessible anytime online from your ClearPathGPS account.
Want more info? Learn more about Dash Cams from ClearPathGPS.